Friday, July 1, 2011

Compassionate Work

As Greg mentioned, Chaplain Steve talked about compassion this past Monday night. He used the tagline "It's amazing what you don't see when you're not looking." This stuck with me and I vowed to get use out of it.

With that in mind, I focused a lot of my devotions and prayer time this week on asking God to show me what I was missing and overlooking in my life, specifically here at SMR. It didn't take long and God answered that prayer. I work in Housekeeping as a driver, and when I'm not driving, I work in the laundry building folding and making cabin bundles. There is another guy there named Andy who is 22 and has been there for a few years. When Andy was younger, he was hit by a car and suffered a traumatic brain injury. Because of this accident, he is much slower at speaking and processing. That being said, his comprehension is impeccable. Anywho, because Andy is slower to speak, I find myself always becoming impatient when he is talking and brushing him off, or even running out the door in a hurry trying to get somewhere while he his mid-sentence because I can't wait for him to finish.

Immediately when I thought of my relationship with Andy, the words of Jesus in Matthew 28 came into my head, "Therefore, GO and make disciples of all nations..." It saddened me to think of all I could be missing out on while not taking the time to fully listen and interact with Andy. Since then, my relationship with Andy has definitely improved. I have learned that he has the biggest heart and strives to have compassion on others who might be having a bad day. He loathes country music, anything to do with Justin Bieber, and loves anything with sugar in it. While I still have to work on my patience, having compassion and understanding with Andy has dramatically improved our relationship.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

No comments:

Post a Comment